Resident Jerry B. writes about the committees at Kendal at Oberlin. The many resident-driven programs and activities make for an active retirement lifestyle.
If you like to do your own things (listening to music, reading, needlepoint, TV, puzzles, hobbies or just relaxing) in the peaceful solitude of your apartment or cottage —- enjoy yourself!
However, if you would rather do things with other Kendal residents look at the list below. The Kendal at Oberlin Residents Association (KORA), in which every resident is a member, (there is no required application nor membership fee) has more than 80 standing and service committees and interest and support groups. These provide activities galore. The limited list below can be expanded to meet additional residents’ suggestions and/or interests
Some Standing Committees
- ART (several galleries)
CARE AND NURTURING (six different activities to help residents in need)
- COMMUNICATIONS (Monthly newsletter; TV and audio announcements; several bulletin boards;Directory of Residents’ telephones, addresses and e-mails)
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS (works toward optimal sustainability in cottages and institution; recycling; education)
- FITNESS AND HEALTH (resident input to Staff Wellness Coordinator for individual and class use of pool and exercise room ; lectures; newsletter; Fun Fitness Week)
- FOOD AND NUTRITION (resident input to Dining Services)
- HORTICULTURE ( resident input to Staff Grounds Manager; flower arrangement and watering)
- LIBRARY (maintenance, staffing and bookmobile for periodicals, magazines, books and AV items)
- PROGRAM (bus trips; lifelong learning classes; guest lecturers; films; music recitals; special events: Spring Dance, celebrations of winter solstice, July 4, Xmas eve, New Years eve)
- SPORTS AND RECREATION (table tennis, croquet, bocce, shuffleboard, tennis, miniature golf)
- WOODSHOP ( use of manual and power equipment and supplies)
Some Service Committees
- RESIDENTS ASSISTANCE FUND SHOP (used furnishings and clothes)
- SECOND HARVEST AND OBERLIN COMMUNITY SERVICES CENTER (assist in food distribution to Greater Oberlin community)
- VOLUNTEER CLEARINGHOUSE (many community activities)
- VOTER INFORMATION (non-partisan)
Some Resident Interest Groups
- COMPUTER USERS
- EUREKA ! ( a literary magazine)
- LANGUAGE DINING GROUPS (French, German, Spanish)
- JAZZ LISTENING
- PET CONCERNS
- PLAY READING
- SCIENCE DISCUSSION
- LOW VISION
- SOLO DINERS
These are just some of the activities on the Kendal campus. This list does not include the many activities happening on the Oberlin College and Conservatory Campus and in the town of Oberlin.
Come visit us and experience our vibrant and friendly community.