Currently open in the three Kendal at Oberlin galleries are the works of two papermakers, a watercolorist and a photographer…something for everyone!
“Imperfect Beauty: Works on Handmade Paper” is the title of the show including works by artists, Yuko Kimura and Pamela McKee.
- Yuko Kimura received her BFA from the Cleveland Institute of Art in 1994 and her MFA from the University of Michigan School of Art and Design in 1997. Her recent work incorporates multiple processes, including etching, aquatint, and dyeing with indigo and persimmon juice. The old book pages she uses are often pleated or twisted to make paper threads. These elements are embedded in the thin layers of handmade paper that are made from abaca and iris leaf fibers. Her work has been exhibited nationally and internationally, and she is represented by the Verne Collection of Japanese Art in Cleveland and Cavin-Morris Gallery in New York City. She has been making prints at Zygote Press and making paper at Morgan Conservatory, both in Cleveland.
- Pamela McKee began working full-time as an artist later in life. With a MA in English literature, she taught English for twenty-five years. Over the years she has attended Haystack Mountain School of Crafts in Maine, Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina, and Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Tennessee and has taken art classes at Cleveland Institute of Art, Cuyahoga Community College, and the Morgan Conservatory in Cleveland. Pamela’s interests are printmaking, handmade paper, and stitched shibori, a Japanese resist dyeing technique. Her work has been exhibited in Cleveland at Still Point Gallery, Juma Gallery, Heights Arts, Zygote Press, Case Western Reserve University Gallery at the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, and Morgan Conservatory.
- A reception for artists Yuko Kimura and Pamela McKee will be held in the Heiser Lounge on Friday, September 9th at 4:30PM. All are welcome.
Audrey Otto: Watercolors
- Artist Audrey Otto returns to Kendal to exhibit her work, this time in the Friends Gallery at Kendal. She is a native of Greater Cleveland and studied at the Cleveland Institute of Art. Audrey is a poet as well as an artist, has taught painting and sketching, and exhibited widely, winning numerous awards for her watercolors and pen and ink drawings. Her paintings have been chosen to appear in the Academic Graphic Communication Calendar for 8 years. She currently divides her time between Medina and Sanibel Island, Florida. These two habitats provide the inspiration for her paintings.
Photographer Dale Preston: Capturing Summer
- Dale Preston took up his first camera as a teenager in 1977. Self-taught, his original photographic interests were in exploring nature and the fascinating animals, plants, and world around us. A 1983 graduate of Oberlin College and a resident of Oberlin for over twenty years, he has worked as a local freelance photographer for fourteen years doing business as Presto Photo. Many of his photographs of summer highlight water and mountains. Taken while hiking or kayaking along the spectacular coast of Maine, exploring the immense dunes and sandy shorelines of Lakes Michigan and Superior, or while swimming in the warm Atlantic at a North Carolina beach where sea turtles nest at night – Dale hopes these images spark similar memories in the minds and hearts of the viewers.
The exhibits run through mid-October 2016. The galleries are open from 9:00AM to 7:00PM daily. Kendal at Oberlin ~ 600 Kendal Drive ~ Oberlin. For more information call 440-775-0094.